How You Can Benefit from Consulting a Dermatologist
There are several adult skin conditions that can be persistent and difficult to get rid of. In these cases, you can benefit from consulting a dermatologist. This type of medical professional specializes in skin conditions and can diagnose your condition and provide a suitable treatment. Dermatologic Center for Excellence in Clarence, NY can help you with your skin problems.
Which Skin Conditions Should You Consult a Dermatologist About?
The following are serious adult skin conditions that should be treated by a dermatologist.
- Psoriasis: There is no cure for this chronic skin disorder, but with the right treatment it can easily be managed. Psoriasis causes patches of dry, scaly skin that are itchy, sore, and can crack and bleed. Patches are most common on the elbows, knees, and feet, but can occur on other parts of the body. This condition is an immune system disorder. It causes your white blood cells to attack healthy cells.
- Rosacea: This chronic skin disorder causes tender skin, and bright red, inflamed patches. It most often occurs on the face. Although the cause of rosacea is not known, it may be hereditary.
- Contact dermatitis: This skin condition is caused by contact with an irritant or substance to which you have a severe allergy. For example, this rash can be caused by poison ivy, cleaning agents, wool dust, and pesticides. Contact dermatitis causes the skin to become red and weepy.
- Shingles: Shingles is caused by infection from the varicella-zoster virus – the same virus that causes chickenpox. You can develop shingles if you have previously contracted chickenpox. This condition causes a red rash with seeping blisters. It may also cause burning pain or numbness.
- Eczema: Also known as atopic dermatitis, eczema causes a red, itchy rash than can crack. Typically, it occurs on the back of the knees and elbows, though it can occur on other parts of the body. It is common inf people who also suffer from asthma or hay fever.